Friday 15 January 2010

Poinsettia

I've been making an effort to draw from life lately, as a means of supporting the work I do from my own photographs. Here's one rather stern self-portrait (looking down at ones' self in the mirror is never the most flattering angle).



The other is a drawing I made last night while watching a repeat of QI (definitely a comfort blanket), it's of the little Poinsettia I bought 4 weeks ago from Tesco. It’s kind of a Bonsai Poinsettia and I expected it to last barely through Christmas, but it's still going strong, despite a few singed leaf tips. I over watered it at first, but now I just keep the soil moist and it seems quite happy. I suppose the rising heat from the radiator mitigates the effect of the icy draft from the window frame, and the plant seems to like it.



I stayed up late last night resting my arm and hand to watch Revolutionary Road. I've wanted to see this film since it came out, but oh, it’s so grim! Enjoyable though. The period detail is immaculate, in the same way that Mad Men is. DiCaprio and Winslet are both so wonderful to watch, the camera loves them. But their emotional cut and thrust doesn't quite match the mesmerising quality of Burton and Taylor in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

I'm now going to lunch on some Christmas Chocolate and to hell with the consequences!

2 comments:

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

You truly are a most amazing artist! My sketches are like a kindergarden students in comparison to yours! I really wish I had your ability at sketching.

Kay said...

Perpetual Chocoholic - thank you for your extremely flattering comments. I've seen your work on your blog and I think you underestimate yourself! Thanks again though for boosting my ego!