Sunday 21 February 2010

Two Exhibitions, One Movie and a Hill Fort



I handed my 2 pictures in yesterday for the West Midlands Open, a quick and efficient process. The guy who took my pictures kindly positioned 2 rubber cushions to protect the bottom of my picture frames, which I thought was a very thoughtful touch. When I was there someone was delivering an enormous piece with the aid of a horse trailer! The huge Gas Hall was already teeming with pieces, I'm really looking forward to seeing this exhibition.


Afterwards G and me went to see the good looking but pretty vacant Wolfman. The whole thing dripped with Hammer Horror style, it was a veritable homage, but I've never seen anything as funny as the fight between the 2 werewolves at the end.

We also managed to fit in a trip to the Ikon where we joined a host of other art spectators shuffling around in the darkness for the film installation On the Movement of the Fried Egg and Other Astronomical Bodies. To be honest I didn't really get a lot out of this, though it was amusing to see how people cope with being plunged into darkness where we shuffled, edged, minced and drifted around like 'other astronomical bodies'.

I enjoyed Clare Rojas's exhibition We They, We They, particularly the installation upstairs in which Clare Rojas's bright folky images are collaged together on the walls to create an effect that reminded me of a chapel or church. In another room a multitude of small folky pieces were hung from cloak pegs. Some of these are illustrations to her children's book 'Pidgy' a copy of which you can see in the Resource Room. The artist’s folk-art embellished banjos which hang from the walls of the Tower Room are an amusing, quirky touch.



The photos on this page are all from today's jaunt to Old Oswestry Hill Fort in Shropshire, which looked beautiful in the snow. We had intended to visit Chirk Castle for the snowdrops but adverse weather conditions meant this had to be cancelled. We did however catch a glimpse of Wales under snow in all its dour, frowning beauty.

2 comments:

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

Do any of those bodies panic when plunged into darkness? That would be me;-)

Kay said...

Darkness can be quite comforting in some ways I think. More soothing than brilliant light. Or perhaps I just like to hide away.