Saturday 10 April 2010

Over the garden fence...

I've been so busy working 2 part-time jobs that I've had to discipline myself to conserve my energy for what's important creatively. I'll make a post about my main work in progress later (hopefully). In the mean time, the weather was so lovely today, and I was frankly quite down about missing it, that as soon as I got home from work this evening I bolted down my tea then rushed into the garden where I made a couple of quick sketches.

I really wanted to try some colour for a change, so I made this first sketch of our old fence and the neighbour's flourshing Magnolia tree. I started with a quick pen sketch, then added some rough colour with Derwent's Aquatone pencils, turned them into a textural wash with a little water and finished off by adding some more vivid colour with my old Cotman watercolour sketch box.


I've had these watercolours for years...donkey's years, as they say here in the Black Country (they may say it elsewhere too). I was going to throw them out a few years ago. I'm so glad I didn't now.

And then just enough energy left to make this quick line sketch of our fence and what can be glimpsed over the top of it. I might add a little colour later, I'm not sure yet.



There's a name for bits of garden you benefit from 'over the garden fence' isn't there? I can't remember the term for it though.

No comments: